On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 20:12:36 -0700, Will Mengarini wrote:
> All we still need to know is whether the OP cares
> about packages that aren't installed, or whether some
> other aspect of Greg's solution isn't sufficient.

If there's interest in new versions of uninstalled packages, then we
have an additional bit of complexity -- how do you know whether the
candidate package is "new"?  You would need an "old" version number
to compare against.

Possible answers include "the candidate version number that I got the
last time I ran the script" or "a version number that I'll provide as
a second argument to the script".  We'd need to know what the OP has
in mind here.