Kevin,

It would probably help for you to take a course or read a book on business
accounting.  There are cost centers, and revenue-generating centers.
Sometimes it may be a judgement call as to where one item goes, as in spam
filtering, but it is the business's call as to how they structure their
pricing model, what is considered revenue-generating, and what is considered
a cost.  External parties have no business deciding what should be
considered revenue-generating for any given business.

Also, I think everyone is missing the point Matt has made several times of
how do you decide how much revenue should be attributed to spam/virus
filtering.  How do you attach a value to it's contribution to keeping
customers or obtaining new customers?  Or a relative value of the service
against other services like base email hosting, web hosting, traffic
reports, control panels, database hosting, media hosting, tech support,
maintenance, etc.  Again, it's a judgement call.  And since most businesses
have different mixes of costs, pricing models, etc. it would take looking at
each business individually to come up with some sort of revenue-sharing
model.  One size would most definitely not fit all.

In short, while this idea may be "creative", it's not the least bit
practical.  Revenue-sharing should be a misnomer, and pricing should be by
server, domain, or account/alias.  For a pricing model to be successful,
subjectivity needs to be removed so that the factors determining it can be
easily quantified.

Darin.