-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lyndon Eaton
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Declude.Virus] TOT TCP/IP Protocol driver service

I did manage to fix the problem. Here's what I did in-case you get a
similar problem:

In safe mode you can set services to start
manually/automatically/disable - but you can not start services while in
safe mode. Norton Internet Security must grab the NIC at quite a low
level, as after I disabled the Norton services, the machine still hung
on normal boot.

So what I wanted to do is uninstall NSI. To do this the Windows
Installer needs to be running - which in Safe Mode it does not. To be
able to start a service in Safe Mode, you have to edit the registry-
HKLM\System\CCS\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal and add a new key by the name
of the services registry reference. In my case the Windows Installer
Service is MSIServer, so I added a key called MSIServer, and changed the
default value to 'Service'.

After adding this key in the registry, the next time you boot in
SafeMode you are able to start that particular service manually - in my
case the Windows Installer. In Add/Remove Programs I could then
uninstall NSI, and my system them booted fine!

Regards,
Lyndon.

This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To unsubscribe,