On 6/12/06, Aaron J. Seigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why don't we all go and ask them what the top inhibitors are to
> > migrate to an open source desktop?

Migrations I've seen (can't really talk about who they are of course)
hit problems with things like:

 * Wanting (in one case, needing) to run Outlook w/ Exchange. I do not
know why Evolution was not an acceptable replacement, but it wasn't.
It ran on Wine but would occassionally hang, about once a week or so,
and this was deemed too unreliable.

 * Internet Explorer specific internal web apps

 * Custom Windows apps or apps where the open source equivalents are
not good enough

 * End user resistance ....

Well clearly these are not going to be the only problems, but in the
biased samples I saw they were significant.

Enterprise Linux companies vary in their approach to solving these
problems; Red Hat were pushing VMware at one point but I don't know
how successful that was. In cases where the up-front cost of fixing
problems was acceptable Wine has a good track record of success (eg,
Disney and numerous other large operations). However Red Hat/IBM have
been reluctant to push this approach for various reasons so often it's
the companies doing the migrations themselves that turn to Wine.

Rewriting apps is tempting especially for web apps but often not
possible as they aren't owned by the companies that use them + it's
not really economic to do so.

thanks -mike