On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 21:05 +0900, Chang-Won Ahn (ETRI) wrote:

> I don't know yet what the real reasons are for this loose-loose
> situation.
> It can be language and cultural barriers. Or it can be ture that we
> didn't
> understand so far what the "opensourcing" was exactly.

I've been trying to get some of these South East Asian governments. Most
of the Linux Desktop projects are working in a "closed" environment. So
far, only Bayanihan Linux from Philippines have responded. Some of the
other projects, there are no downloads available, much less cvs/svn
access.

The second part is simply capacity. Unlike other countries, a lot of the
current IT capacity in Asia even in more developed countries like
Malaysia/Thailand, the developers have grown up in proprietary world
where the only skills are basic customisation of closed sourced
software. The rest of the IT "industry", especially in South East Asia
are simply resellers. Developers that have the skills are often hired by
closed source companies for which these skills are never shared. As such
people treat open source in the same way as they treat closed sourced
software, except the base is "free".

Take, modify, resell. Keep changes to yourself, like everybody else
around you.

Basic awareness of the various benefits of working with the
local/international open source development community are severely
lacking.