On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 11:34:03 UTC+2, pavithran  wrote:
> I am currently on unstable 1.4 and the one reason I dont want to go to
>
> 1.1 stable is because of the keyboard. I love what they did with the
>
> keyboard which is more "responsive" but yes the shift case needs to be
>
> improved.
>

> Anyways I am happy to see your success on building from source while I
>
> used some binary !
>

> Regards,
>
> Pavithran

Pavithran, you should try building your own - it's not that hard.
i would suggest you do it like i did - install either Virtualbox (including the
extensions) or VMWare, whatever suits you better.
create a VM (min 4GB mem, 2cores, 40GB hd) and install Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
from there just follow the instructions on MDN to get all the requirements down
and the repository on your machine. Be sure to check that you did everything
described on MDN to the last letter, i screwed that up the first time.
from there you can in your case do a
BRANCH=v1.4 VARIANT=user ./configure inari
take a coffee break ( a real long one :D )
once it's done, build your new boot.img, its very easy (as a hint - abootimg is
a package you can install from Ubuntu - sudo apt-get install abootimg )
the other two tools (mkbootfs and mkbootimg are from the android source, if you
do not want to compile them you can just download the precompiled ones from
here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915808
depending on the version you have (UK / US / HK) you can also use a premade one
-
if you happen to have a UK model, give me a shout and i'll share mine with you.

if you are using Virtualbox you have to attach the "handset" USB device now. no
idea how you do that with VMWare, but it should be similar.
then go ahead with the build (BRANCH=v1.4 VARIANT=user ./build.sh)
it will also pull the /system folder of the phone (so make sure you have at
least 1.1 installed)
take another VERY long break, the first build takes a few hours...
once its done and successful, copy the new boot.img to out/target/product/inari
and invoke the flashing with ./flash.sh
when the phone reboots, you have to attach the "Android device" in
Virtualbox-USB so fastboot will see it.
when you see something like "attempting to set date/time" the flash was
successful, now you again need to attach the "handset" USB device for it to
complete.
(the names of the USB devices could be different for you, as i have Universal
ADB drivers installed in Windows)

see, its not that complicated, it just takes some time.
apart from having built it yourself, it will be exactly the same as you have
now, but in future you will be able to build newer versions if ZTE ever
provides a new gonk layer.