On Monday, 5 May 2014 18:53:59 UTC+2, Fabrice Desré  wrote:
> Hi Roland,
>

> On 05/04/2014 11:39 PM, Roland Lindner wrote:
>

> > i am not jumping ship, i am just leaning back and hope for a change of mind.
>
> > sure i wont buy a new device now. i'll think about it if
>
> > - Mozilla gets their act together and update policies are clear.
>

> We are working on that, and will provide technical ways to remedy the
>
> situation. See
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.b2g/2pnAP8i92Pg and
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.webapi/WTuth-soXR4
>

> > - phones come out which are not a joke hardware wise (we dont live in 2005
> > anymore)
>

> You probably don't remember what 2005-era phones were...
>

> > - a fully supported (including hardware bits) developer phone. no, the
> > Flame aint that.
>

> > if you want to do FOSS, do it right.
>

> That's really uncalled for. We do it as best as it's possible with the
>
> constraints we have. Sure, we'd like to provide the source of all the
>
> code running on the phone. As far as I know, the only project doing that
>
> is Freerunner, and they are not exactly top-notch hardware (see your
>
> previous point).
>

>       Fabrice
>
> --
>
> Fabrice Desr�
>
> b2g team
>
> Mozilla Corporation

thank you Fabrice for taking the time to actually answer my not very nice post.
let me say i am sorry for that, but as can clearly be seen that at least got me
a somewhat proper answer.
i still do remember phones from 2005. ok, the Open is more like a 5 year old
android phone, i agree on that ;)
as far as it comes to "fixing" the update process, may i suggest that you at
least reenable the updates for 1.3 for the open, since it works well (and as to
take advantage of the update process there you need to "hack" your device it
would not be a big problem since that would clearly only be done by geeks and
devs, not your standard end-user)
Also, i would suggest that you might want to change your entry on MDN regarding
the ZTE Open. if you read that one will have the false hope of buying a
Developer phone which it clearly is not.

we do not expect everything now, that is unreasonable.
but a user that actually shelled out money for an unlocked device with fastboot
enabled, one would expect that you had a somewhat current release available.
if it were possible to self-build and install the most current release, you
could also get a lot more feedback on stuff not working and probably even how
to fix it. you know the community works like this, always has, always will.
Compare with Android - most problems and flaws were not solved by Google but by
the many brave hackers out there - XDA developers is just one (a big one)
resource out there.

Let me say again that i really like the idea behind Firefox OS/boot 2 gecko,
the implications for me and my family would be great.
it's always hard to start something new.
at least you didn't have to start from scratch 100%, as you are using AOSP as
base.
if you check on XDA for example, there is a whole section for FFOS, its not
used much but it is a start. There are some people there who successfully
ported Firefox OS to other devices, even though the porting process is nearly
not described at all. that takes a lot of dedication, maybe you want to talk to
these people also?

Again, i personally want Firefox OS to be successful, it may or may not be a
long road to get there but i am sure you want all the help you can get along
the way there?

i understand that you are now mostly aiming at the low end of the market, and i
understand the reasoning behind that. but if you would make the porting more
clear and provide actual examples, i am sure many hackers would pick up and
you'd have a much broader base (more supported devices equals more users and
more people interested in the project)
lets face it - all the available phones right now do not really attract power
users, so probably most of the phones are not daily drivers but secondary
play/testing/developing devices.
i came to be used to a 5 inch minimum screen size, quad core, 1GB ram, decent
camera, at least HD resolution.
there should be at least an option for that, don't you agree? that would
probably make it so you would use it as your daily device.
add in dual sim support (no DSDA needed, DSDS is more than sufficient) and i
would be a mostly happy camper (if i can choose what release to install -
self-built and all, but needs to be supported by updates)

don't fall into the same trap as Android, where having a current release
probably means buying a new phone every 6 months, which in turn leads to many
different releases out there. in an ideal world, every phone should be
supported  for a reasonable time (like you proposed minimum 2 years sounds
good), that would also help to not having to deal with 3-5 different active
releases.

In my opinion, the reference design (Flame) needs to be a fully open source
phone. i do not think that is the case currently, as from the looks of it TCL
is behind that hardware.
production phones for end-users will always trail behind, but you are in the
process of stabilizing 1.4 and 1.1 is all we get. (and with a release cycle of
roughly 3 months, that means 9 months behind) the gap should not be more than 6
months, otherwise people will start to question the update policy.

thanks for your time again and i would really appreciate an ongoing dialog (an
i'll try not to "slip" anymore)