Hi Ryan, others,

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Ryan Feeley <rfee...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We’ll soon be adding an email opt-in somewhere in the registration flow of
> Firefox Accounts.

What does "email opt-in" mean?  Does it mean that we allow accounts with no
email address that later opt-in to an email loop?  Or does it mean a
marketing-speak opt-in where users accept our engagement emails?

Ideally we can provide the users with the option of providing a different
> email address than the one they log in with. To do this, I'm recommending
> that the opt-in happens later in the flow (to keep our registration flow
> flowing).
>
> Because a mature account system makes use of email addresses for different
> reasons, I'm (re)proposing an approach that gives users more control of
> their email.
>
> - they can change their email
> - they can see what their email is used for
> - they can add additional email addresses to handle certain things
> - we can introduce new email services (e.g. marketing) giving user control
>
> With the A/C blasting above my desk, I awkwardly whispered my way through
> the proposed approach:
>
> http://youtu.be/RB7OiBaq37s
>
> While I have not yet designed, I believe that this approach also scales
> well for introducing other communication media like phone numbers.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not confident the mooted feature set is necessary: my instinct is
multiple email addresses, yes; fine-grained permissions, no.

I would like to surface that Firefox for Android has an expectation that
accounts are keyed by a single email address that does not change over
time.  It will be challenging to change this [1].  Just something to be
aware of.

Nick

[1] But possible, I believe: I thought that Android Account names must be
email addresses but cannot find a reference.