On 12/05/2015 01:59, Ryan Feeley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We’ll soon be adding an email opt-in somewhere in the registration flow
> of Firefox Accounts.
>
> Ideally we can provide the users with the option of providing a
> different email address than the one they log in with. To do this, I'm
> recommending that the opt-in happens later in the flow (to keep our
> registration flow flowing).
>
> Because a mature account system makes use of email addresses for
> different reasons, I'm (re)proposing an approach that gives users more
> control of their email.
>
> - they can change their email
> - they can see what their email is used for
> - they can add additional email addresses to handle certain things
> - we can introduce new email services (e.g. marketing) giving user control
>
> With the A/C blasting above my desk, I awkwardly whispered my way
> through the proposed approach:
>
> http://youtu.be/RB7OiBaq37s

I really like the granularity and user-control provided by this approach!

I also worry that it could be a lot of technical ground to cover before
we can start processing the email opt-ins, since we have no existing
infra in place for handling multiple addresses.  IIUC Ben's team is
still hoping to kick off the first iteration of engagement material in Q2.

How would folks feel about shipping with just the primary email for
opt-in to start, and iterating towards the approach presented here?

  Cheers,

    Ryan