23.10.04 at 23:48, Michael Heydekamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Martin Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 23.10.04:

>> 23.10.04 at 20:25, Michael Heydekamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[..]
>> I don't really know in what context my name is being used but from
>> what I can make out from the above statement, I can definitively say
>> that there is no such word as "Lister" in the English vocabularly.

> That's just what I said.  But Joachim was saying that it would have
> been "corrected" to "Lister" again (I didn't verify if he's really
> correct). And that's exactly what I want to avoid: Reversing earlier
> corrections just because we put ourselves under time pressure and wanna
> be finished at a specific date.

It's never a good idea to quote a release date or to set a time schedule
because the folks who have to adhere to the schedule(s) are merely doing
everything as a hobby and "real life" will always interfere.

> It was also meant just as an example for things we have to care about.
> And which I, just because it was me who dealt with this stuff in the
> past, might remember, but it is unlikely that anybody else will
> remember it because there is nothing to "remember" for him.  We both
> had these conversations in the past and nobody else.

> It may even happen that the reversion of such "corrections" may be
> overlooked by you or me when looking through a huge resource or help
> file.  That's the danger I'm seeing.

Yes and having re-compiled the 3.21 sources just 10 minutes ago and having
had a very quick look around, I've already spotted a number of things that
need correcting. As discussed by you, I and Joachim a few months ago, this
is a BIG job and one which needs a LOT of time spending on it. To impose a
release deadline would be courting disaster IMO and besides, if I'm to do
work on this, I'm certainly not going to rush it. To quote a well known
saying, "It'll be ready when it's ready." ;)

>> In the context of CrossPoint, the English translation of the word
>> "Lister" is "Reader" and just so the user couldn't possibly be
>> confused by exactly what is meant by "Reader", it should be further
>> defined as "Message Reader".

> Exactly.

> I was just reminding the folks that before getting 3.21 out of the door
> we still have to do the huge "compare run" we discussed in a thread
> months ago.  This applies to the German and English resources and help
> files in both directions (v3.21 <=> v3.40).  Sometimes the v3.21
> version is the better and more current one, sometimes the v3.40
> version.

Yep.

> Furthermore I stated that this will have to be done (not necessarily
> only, but for sure mainly) by me (German/English) and you (English
> only), as I was the one who made the big resources and help file update
> for v3.20 longer ago.

Yep.

> The bad "news" is that at the moment I have absolutely no time to do
> this as I'm in a difficult migration process from NetWare 3.12 to
> Windows SBS 2003 incl. Exchange here in the company.  This has absolute
> priority and I can't say how long this situation will persist.

OK but I'm now in a position to devote quite a bit of time to this but
whether I have the inclination is a different matter. Personally, I would
rather spend my time on v3.40

>> I'm sorry if I've misunderstood and I'm equally sorry for my
>> inability to post in German.

> As you know, it is explicitely allowed to post in English here. :)

OK, thanks :-)

--
Martin