On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> This is great news!
>

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:
>
>> *The plan*
>>
>> Therefore we've decided to discard the worker model in favor of a cycle
>> collected model like we have on the main thread.  Our plan is to do the
>> following:
>>
>>    1. Port the cycle collector to non-main-threads.  We will store the
>>    purple buffer in TLS.  This also involves disconnecting the CC from parts
>>    of XPConnect (such as wrapper preservation). - khuey
>>

> Has anyone considered whether the cost of TLS could become a problem? It
> seems like it is a bit of a problem for SPS. Seems like a fixable problem
> though, especially for code that can statically know whether it's on or off
> the main thread.

Yeah we've thought about that a lot.  We already do a single TLS lookup
everytime we enter or exit the purple buffer because we have a check to
abort if we're on the wrong thread (this happens even in release builds) in
release builds.  It's not immediately clear how we would replace that check
without bloating the object by storing a thread pointer or something, so we
may not have a net change in TLS lookups.

- Kyle