On Feb 14, 2:46 am, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 2/13/13 7:36 PM, Simon Kornblith wrote:
>
> > Don't workers have access to XMLHttpRequest?
>
> That's implemented by sending messages to the main thread and doing the
> XHR from there, so no messages means no XHR.
>
> -Boris

There's a difference between workers being able to communicate with
their pages via 'messages' (e.g. postMessage) and workers being able
to communicate with the main thread behind the scenes via runnables.
XHR doesn't require workers to have access to postMessage for
instance.

Basically there are many different ways in which a worker can be
closed. For normal page navigation causes (e.g. page falls out of
bfcache) workers get notified that they're being torn down and then
have some small amount of time to do additional processing (currently
that really only includes sync XHR). They could 'while(1)' of course
but they will be killed as soon as their timeout expires.

We skip the close handler entirely if the application is shutting
down, so we shouldn't expect any XHRs to happen during shutdown
anyway.

The different shutdown scenarios are listed and explained here:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/workers/WorkerFeature.h#13

-bent