Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
> Brian Smith wrote:
>> It is very inconvenient to have a minimum supported compiler version
>> that we cannot even do test builds with using tryserver.
>
> Why this sudden requirement when our *current* minimum "supported"
> version is 4.6 and 4.6 is nowhere close to that on try. That is also
> true for older requirements we had for gcc. That is also true for clang
> on OSX, and that was also true for the short period we had MSVC 2012 as
> a minimum on Windows. I'm not saying this is an ideal situation, but I'd
> like to understand why gcc needs to suddenly be treated differently.

The current situation is very inconvenient. To improve it, all
compilers should be treated the same: Code that builds on
mozilla-inbound/central/tryserver is good enough to land, as far as
supported compiler versions are concerned. So, for example, if clang
3.7 is what is used on the builders, then clang 3.6 would be
unsupported. And the same with GCC and MSVC.

Further, it is best to upgrade compiler versions as fast as possible,
so that we can make more use of newer C++ features. I contributed many
patches in bug 1119072 so that MSVC 2015 can become the minimum MSVC
version ASAP. The same should happen with GCC and clang so that we can
write better code using newer C++ features ASAP. (This also requires
replacing STLPort with a reasonable C++ standard library
implementation on Android/B2G.)

>> Did any of them state a preference for not going to GCC 4.8? If so,
>> what was the reasoning?
>
> At least for Debian, current stable can't build security updates with
> more than 4.7.

Isn't this a chicken and egg problem? If Firefox required GCC 4.9 then
Debian would figure out a way to build security updates using GCC 4.9.
It is easier for Debian to insist on GCC 4.7 so that's what Debian
asks for. But, it is better to optimize for Mozilla developer
efficiency than any Linux distros' efficiency. In particular, things
like minimum compiler versions affect every Mozilla developer's
efficiency, which affects the rate at which we can ship improvements
to 100% of Mozilla's users. But, Linux-distro-packaged Firefox makes
up less than 1% of the userbase.

Note that I'm not saying Debian is unimportant. I'm saying that
Mozilla should focus on what's best for developer productivity, and
then assist Debian and others cope with whatever inconvenience that
that strategy causes them.

Cheers,
Brian