On 03/08/15 16:46, Bobby Holley wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl>
wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
I think something like a <meta name="do-not-render"> might be a
simpler solution here. Coupled with either simply removing the <meta>
from the DOM, or having a function which indicates that rendering is
ok.

Neither of those deal well with multiple libraries being included in
the page, which is likely going forward with custom elements et al.

I suspect it's better for the various components to indicate when they
are done loading and let the page indicate which components are
critical, and which ones aren't.

Agreed. I think it would be very strange for a library to block all
rendering. The <meta> tag (with removal to indicate readiness) sounds good
to me - then we don't even need a separate event.

I am extremely wary of designing a solution like this where there's a single master switch that any code can unilaterally flip; if the assumption that libraries will never want to delay rendering turns out to be false it will force page authors to deal with N library-specific protocols to indicate that they are no longer blocking rendering, and give any one component that ability to override all others.

Unrelatedly, I assume that people are thinking of this as a hint to the UA rather than an absolute requirement. I would certainly expect the UA to render in any case after some timeout so that sites with some mild brokenness that causes them not to unset the no-render flag for whatever reason (e.g. browser-specific codepaths and insufficient testing) are still actually usable.