How about a scheme in which there can be N such <meta> elements, and the
painting only happens when all of them are gone (or some timeout occurs)?
That solve the common case that Jonas is talking about, and allows
libraries to insert their own paint blocker into <head> if they really want
to block painting? The a nice side-bonus of this scheme is that the
existence of blockers is clearly visible in the DOM, so that a buggy
library that leaves a paint blocker active is more noticeable.