On 2015-08-04 3:08 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Bobby Holley <bobbyhol...@gmail.com> wrote:
How about a scheme in which there can be N such <meta> elements, and the
painting only happens when all of them are gone (or some timeout occurs)?
That solve the common case that Jonas is talking about, and allows libraries
to insert their own paint blocker into <head> if they really want to block
painting? The a nice side-bonus of this scheme is that the existence of
blockers is clearly visible in the DOM, so that a buggy library that leaves
a paint blocker active is more noticeable.

Sold!

Sorry for the late response. It seems like we decided to not do anything here for now, but for future reference, the idea above would be impossible to feature detect, which may not be ideal. If we decide to propose something for this in the future, we may want to have a story for feature detection too.

Cheers,
Ehsan