On 11/6/2015 12:38 PM, Doug Turner wrote:
I would have rather done this in a private email, but some replied and said I
wasn’t clear.

-> Do not merge comm-central into mozilla-central <-

1) I think merging comm-central is a bad idea as it will basically tax all
gecko + firefox developers forever.

2) It isn’t clear that Thunderbird is a supported product anymore.  MoCo
certainly isn’t responsible for it.  I don’t think MoFo does anything for it.

I know that Thunderbird has been in talks with the Mozilla Foundation about being officially supported by them, and I believe the only thing left is to sign the ink on some papers for that. There are others who were involved in those talks who could give more specific details.

3) We’re spending $ and time in Release on this project.  I would rather not
have to do that given (2).

4) This sets a bad precedent.  I don’t think we want every application built on
top of gecko to be in mozilla-central.

I've explained why this isn't really a precedent several times.

We don’t have all of the time and resources in the world.  We have to be very
deliberate about what we work on.  And Thunderbird — as it is now — isn’t
something MoCo is focusing on.  Because of this, I really doubt anyone in moco
Release is going to futz with it.

Except the release engineers in moco are already spending a good deal of time on managing the Thunderbird release engineering--exactly as Mozilla promised they would back in 2012.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer