On 22/03/2017 2:34 PM, Botond Ballo wrote:
Now that this change has hit the release channel, we've started
receiving feedback from a wider range of users, a lot of it in bug
1345661 [1].

I believe the feedback in that thread brings some new information to
the table that we weren't aware of when this decision was made:

   - Based on the volume of the feedback we received, and the number
     of duplicate bugs and so on, it appears that quoted telemetry data
     underestimates the number of users who use ALSA. This is
     corroborated by the fact that some of the affected distributions
     disable telemetry in their Firefox packages.
This is anecdotal so it is hard to evaluate. Distributions can re-enable ALSA and telemetry in the short term. If they are significant then our numbers will move.
   - A number of users, particularly those in the audiophile and music
     production / recording communities, report technical reasons for
     preferring ALSA over PulseAudio.
They will need to create/use tier-3 builds.
   - We've had an offer from someone to volunteer to maintain the
     ALSA backend (bug 1345661 comment 52 [2]).
We will continue to accept community contributions. However we won't be re-enabling ALSA until we've established a longer term pattern of support. The outstanding work includes sandboxing support, 5.1 and bug fixes.
Based on this new information, might there be room to reconsider this decision?
No. It is now too late.

Anthony