I'm planning to move production Windows builds to VS2017 (15.4.1) in bug
1408789.

VS2017 has optimizer improvements that produce faster code. I've seen 3-6%
improvement on Speedometer. There is also increased support for C++14 and
C++17 language features:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/visual-cpp-language-conformance

These days we tend not to support older VS for too long, so after some
transition period you can probably expect that VS2017 will be required to
build locally, ifdefs can be removed, etc. VS2017 Community Edition is a
free download and it can coexist with previous compilers. Installation
instructions are at:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Windows_Prerequisites#Visual_Studio_2017

If you have concerns, please talk to me or visit the bug. Thanks!