Agreed, changing compilers of an already-released ESR isn't a good idea.

You could use 2017 to build ESR52 locally though, if that's what you're
asking. Our tree has supported 2017 builds for a good while, since it's the
default VS download from Microsoft and a number of Mozillians have been
using it.