On 8/13/2014 12:34 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Wed, August 13, 2014 12:02 pm, David E. Ross wrote:
>>  On 8/13/2014 11:16 AM, Kathleen Wilson wrote [in part]:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> As the CFCA discussion showed, there are a few things still to figure
>>> out regarding the audits of CA conformance to the BRs.
>>>
>>> Here are my proposals.
>>
>>      [snipped}
>>

>>> 3) If the CA's auditor missed something regarding the BRs, then the CA
>>> has to fix the problems and be re-audited by a different auditor.
>>> Would a *complete* audit need to be performed?
>>> Or just an audit to show the problems have been resolved?
>>> Should we require that the re-audit to be for a minimum of 3 months?
>>>
>>> This can be added to our wiki pages now, and we may want to consider
>>> adding this to the actual policy.
>>
>>  Often, a new auditor will require a complete audit.  Changing an auditor
>>  is somewhat like changing a primary-care physician.  The new physician
>>  will often require a complete physical of the patient instead of relying
>>  records from the prior primary-care physician.
>>
>>  As with a new physician, a completely new audit is an expense for the
>>  certification authority, which I suspect would resist any request for
>>  such an audit.  Compliance might not be obtained unless (as proposed in
>>  the past) we institute publicizing non-compliance, not merely with a
>>  "wall of shame" on a Mozilla Web site but also sending out press
>>  releases to appropriate news media, alerts to US-CERT, and messages to
>>  non-Mozilla newsgroups.
>
> You are correct, it is an expense for the applying Certification Authority.
>
> However, Mozilla's policy clearly states, in Section 16 of
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/inclusion/
>
> "The burden is on the CA to provde that is has met the above requirements.
> However the CA may request a preliminary determination from us regarding
> the acceptability of the criteria and/or the competent independent party
> or parties by which it proposes to meet the requirements of this policy."
>
> The alternative to the CA bearing the burden of a re-audit is for Mozilla
> to bear the (effective) cost of performing the competent audit, and
> bearing the cost to its users if that audit turns out to be insufficient.
>
> A CA that is unwilling or unable to perform such an audit seems like it is
> unable to demonstrate to Mozilla (and the community) it's ability or
> willingness to adhere to the Mozilla Inclusion Policy.
>
> So I wholeheartedly endorse Kathleen's proposal, especially in the broader
> context of requiring the auditor examine the known bits of infrastructure
> and capabilities for technical conformance.
>
> If this was a financial institution, and one discovered the books were
> proverbially cooked, using the same auditor calls into question
>
> Why didn't they notice it the first time? Were they not paying attention?
> Will they pay attention now?  Were there other things they were not paying
> [...]

Note that I definitely did NOT intend to argue against Kathleen's item
#3.  I merely wanted to point out where "pushback" from certification
authorities might occur.

However, I do argue in favor of publicity against authorities that
refuse compliance.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.