* snip - since only OneCRL is relevant to Mozilla users with respect to
intermediate certs*
>> OneCRL is intended to reduce the exposure of Mozilla's browser to the second
>> category of problems, by burning a CRL for intermediates into the software
>> itself, so that it will function even offline. But the reality is that CAs
>> have not been as forthcoming as they should have with revocation information
>> and OneCRL today can't function without either better co-operation on
>> revocation by CAs or the exact type of disclosure that we're discussing here.
- Then those CAs are in violation of the Mozilla policy and should be treated
accordingly. This seems like a *worse* infraction of the policy that failing to
disclose an intermediate that is no longer trusted.

Consider a Firefox installed in July 2015 on a laptop which has deliberately
been given no Internet access, but it does connect to a handful of systems over
perhaps a dial-up or dedicated network. This Firefox thinks the Disney CA is
good, it thinks the Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority is
good. It has no way to find out otherwise, except by being updated to a newer
Firefox. Do the legal disclaimers from public CAs say this is the user's
problem? Yes they do. Does that mean Mozilla should wave it away as
unimportant? That is much less clear.
- Same thing as I mentioned. If they haven't updated the browser, how do they
know which roots are no longer trusted?

I suppose the real difference is one of control. Mozilla can enforce a policy
to disclose revoked intermediates but can't force a disclosure of roots that
are not part of the Mozilla program (as they are out of scope).