On 04/11/16 23:51, Andrew Ayer wrote:
> The March 2016 CA communication said[1]:
>
> "It has been pointed out in the mozilla.dev.security.policy forum that
> a chosen-prefix attack on SHA-1 could be used to forge a certificate if
> a CA's private key is used to sign *anything* with SHA-1."
>
> Therefore, CAs participating in the Mozilla program know that this
> practice is dangerous.

This is true; however, unfortunately, I don't believe this amounts to a
requirement that CAs should not use SHA-1 at all any more.

> Frankly, I'm disappointed that despite my efforts to draw attention to
> this issue in March, both in the context of non-serverAuth certificates[2]
> and OCSP responses[3], Mozilla took no further action, such as
> amending Mozilla policy or proposing a CABF ballot to plug this hole.

Your disappointment stings.

> If they had sent an incident report to Mozilla I would agree, but I do
> not think that CAs should be credited for noticing mistakes when they
> try to sweep them under the rug.  This is particularly true in the case
> of SHA-1 misissuance, where revoking without broader notification
> demonstrates not competence but rather a lack of understanding of the
> risks.

Your point being that if they do disclose, the community can then run
crypto analysis over the cert to see if it's likely to be constructed as
part of a collision attempt?

Gerv