Richard,

I'm afraid a few things are confused here.

First, a single CA Operator may have multiple roots in the browser
trust list.  Each root may list one or more certificate policies that
map to the EV policy.  Multiple roots that follow the same policy may
use the same policy IDs and different roots from the same operator may
use different policies.

For example, I see the following in the Microsoft trust list:

CN=CA 沃通根证书,O=WoSign CA Limited,C=CN
CN=Class 1 Primary CA,O=Certplus,C=FR
CN=Certification Authority of WoSign,O=WoSign CA Limited,C=CN
CN=CA WoSign ECC Root,O=WoSign CA Limited,C=CN
CN=Certification Authority of WoSign G2,O=WoSign CA Limited,C=CN
each of these has one EV mapped policy: 1.3.6.1.4.1.36305.2

CN=AffirmTrust Commercial,O=AffirmTrust,C=US has policy
1.3.6.1.4.1.34697.2.1 mapped to EV
CN=AffirmTrust Networking,O=AffirmTrust,C=US has policy
1.3.6.1.4.1.34697.2.2 mapped to EV
CN=AffirmTrust Premium,O=AffirmTrust,C=US has policy
1.3.6.1.4.1.34697.2.3 mapped to EV
CN=AffirmTrust Premium ECC,O=AffirmTrust,C=US has policy
1.3.6.1.4.1.34697.2.4 mapped to EV
All of these are from the same company but each has their own policy identifier.

The information on "Identified by <something>" in Microsoft's browsers
comes from the "Friendly Name" field in the trust list. For example
the friendly name of CN=Class 1 Primary CA,O=Certplus,C=FR is "WoSign
1999".

For something like the AffirmTrust example, they could easily sell one
root along with the exclusive right to use that root's EV OID without
impacting their other OIDs.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Peter