If they're not going to revoke within 24 hours and willingly violate that
part of the policy, I would at least expect them to, within that 24 hours,
produce a description of why this happened, what they're doing to fix it,
and when they expect the certificates to be replaced (along with an
expectation of when a hard revocation deadline would be regardless of
customer responsiveness). Once the underlying issue is fixed, I would
expect them to ring in to say that it's fixed and what they did to fix it.

That's just basic good-faith engagement that demonstrates that the issuing
CA at least takes the issue as seriously as the community does, and
engenders trust that the issue is being addressed.

Let's Encrypt just responded this week to an encoding compliance failure
with a live production code fix (including code review and sign off) within
6 hours of being notified.

While not every issuing CA may take security seriously enough to employ
engineers on staff who can research, author and deploy a production code
fix in a 24 hour period, every issuing CA should be able to muster the
strength to keep the community informed of their plans and progress in
however long it takes to address the issue.

-- Eric

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy <

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>