Hello Jakob!

If a CA receives such a list and creates the CSR for the customer (how does the
CA this without access to the customers private key?), they have of course to
perform an IDNA translation from U-label to A-label. And as we have learned the
BRGs (indirectly) enforce the use of IDNA2003. But if the CA receives a filled
in CSR they don't perform (not even indirectly) an IDNA translation and has no
obligation to check if the entries are valid IDNA2003 A-label.

And - ceterum censeo - there is no way a CA can tell for sure if
xn--gau-7ka.siemens.de is just a weird server name or the IDNA2008 translation
of gauß.siemens.de .

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Information Technology
Human Resources
PKI / Trustcenter
GS IT HR 7 4
Hugo-Junkers-Str. 9
90411 Nuernberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike,
Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany;
Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684;
WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322