On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:24 PM Buschart, Rufus via dev-security-policy <

> If a CA receives such a list and creates the CSR for the customer (how
> does the CA this without access to the customers private key?), they have
> of course to perform an IDNA translation from U-label to A-label. And as we
> have learned the BRGs (indirectly) enforce the use of IDNA2003. But if the
> CA receives a filled in CSR they don't perform (not even indirectly) an
> IDNA translation and has no obligation to check if the entries are valid
> IDNA2003 A-label.
>
> And - ceterum censeo - there is no way a CA can tell for sure if
> xn--gau-7ka.siemens.de is just a weird server name or the IDNA2008
> translation of gauß.siemens.de <http://gauss.siemens.de> .

I mean, it's using an ACE label. That's where Ballot 202 would have
clarified and required more explicit validation of the ACE labels to
address the SHOULD NOT from https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3490#section-5 to
a MUST NOT.

The CA can perform ToASCII(ToUnicode(label)) == label to validate.