On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:18 AM nadim--- via dev-security-policy <

> I would like to repeat my call for establishing a set of empirical
> requirements that take into account the context of DarkMatter's current
> position in the industry as well as their specific request for the
> inclusion of a specific root CA.

I also concur in this to the extent possible.

> While I don't necessarily fully support the method with which Benjamin
> chose to address Ryan's contributions to the discussion so far, I think
> we're all choosing to kid ourselves here if we continue to say that the
> underlying impetus for this discussion isn't primarily sociopolitical. The
> sooner an end is put to this, the better.

I concur in as far as the result, which is to say that I don't necessarily
say that it _is_ "primarily sociopolitical" but rather that there is at
least the appearance and nearly indefensible criticism that it could be.

> The right thing to do, right now, is for there to be a documented process
> through which a set of empirical, falsifiable, achievable requirements are
> set by either Mozilla, the CABForum, or both, for DarkMatter to fulfill so
> that they can be considered for inclusion. If these requirements are (1)
> defined fairly and (2) achieved by DarkMatter verifiably, then great.
> Otherwise, too bad.

Indeed the ramifications of a discretionary revocation of the intermediates
or block from joining the root program, if not objectively and cleanly
explained, would likely have a chilling effect on ANY newcomer.  When a
reasonable, documentable, objective path to earning and maintaining trust
in the program exists, investment of time and resources can reasonably
flow.  A new counter-case of an organization that has met all the
requirements and still somehow doesn't meet the bar would be most
discouraging.