On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 8:11 PM Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy <

> I didn't post this as part of yesterday's message because I didn't want to
> muddy the waters even further, but let's look at the exact wording of BR
> 7.1:

<snip>

> All fully compliant with the requirement that:
>
>   CAs SHALL generate non-sequential Certificate serial numbers greater than
>   zero (0) containing at least 64 bits of output from a CSPRNG

I'm not sure this will be a very productive or valuable line of discussion.

As best I can tell, you're discussing pathological interpretations,
implicitly, it seems, with a critique of the current language. Complaining
about things "as they are" doesn't really help anyone, other than perhaps
the speaker, but if there is a positive suggestion that you believe
addresses the concerns you see, it may be useful to just make that argument
and make it clearly. It may be that you don't know what the proposed
language should be, in which case, you should clearly state that.

Alternatively, you're attempting to explore "What would happen if I was a
CA and I gave these answers". As you seem to acknowledge, silly answers get
silly results. It's well known in this community that attempting to hem and
haw through creative interpretations of language, rather than trying to
operate beyond reproach (and thus actively try to avoid silly answers),
tend to be less likely to gain or retain trust. The world is fully of silly
answers from silly people, and while that's great, it doesn't seem very
worthwhile or productive to discuss - all that really matters is whether
expected-to-be-smart people, CAs, are the ones giving silly answers.

Of course, there are quite glaring flaws in the argument, particularly that
"all" of these are compliant. None of them are compliant under any
reasonable reading. None of those are defensible outputs of a CSPRNG, they
are outputs of Peter's Silly Algorithm, a non-cryptographically strong
non-pseudo-random-number-generator.

The reason we can see these arguments as silly as the burden of proof rests
on demonstrating how it complies. Language lawyering as whether "contains"
allows "As input to my Silly Algorithm" is a tactic we can take as a
thought experiment, but it's not productive, because all that matters is
whether or not a CA is silly enough to make such a silly argument. And if
they are that silly, they are unlikely to find such a silly answer
well-received.

Of course, all of this is understandable, when you consider that the 'how'
you respond to an incident is just as important as the 'what' of the
incident response. A CA that responds to incidents using silly examples is
not doing themselves favors. Focusing on the fact that someone "could" give
silly answers is to simply ignore whether or not it would be wise or
defensible to do so, or whether there are alternatives that avoid silliness
entirely.