> Note that this is applicable for signatureAlgorithms as well (and the same
> section of the RFC), and this is again something cablint picks up and zlint
> misses. However, it seems CAs happened to already have revoked these
> certificates - perhaps from internal linting efforts that looked at all
> their certificates, or crt.sh, or some other bit. It's also not too
> surprising, given that this is the logic that mozilla::pkix implements
> directly in its implementation.

I'd love to see another CA with greater development resources volunteer the
time to implement the signatureAlgorithms coverage for zlint. I suspect
there are a number of CAs using zlint that aren't represented in the
repository contributor graph.

So I'm fairly confident that the increased expression in policy does not
> harm things, makes it easier to implement safe linters. Not to pick on
> Daniel, but it looks like the PR made for zlint missed some edge corner
> cases - perfectly understandable, in context, but exactly why/where the
> direct comparison makes it easier :)

:-) I should have known better than to think anything related to ASN.1
could be a quick PR. I'll work on integrating your feedback. Thanks again
for taking the time to review it.