So, from our perspective, the security implications are the most important here.
We understand them, and even in the absence of any compliance obligations they
would constitute an unacceptable risk to trustworthiness of our OCSP responses,
so we have already begun the process of replacing the ICAs we are responsible
for.
There are already several key ceremonies scheduled and they will continue
through
the holiday weekend.  We're prioritizing the ICAs that are under the control of
third
parties and/or outside our primary data centers, as they pose the most risk.
We are
actively working to mitigate internal ICAs as well.  Expect to see revocations
start
happening within the next day or two.

I understand the attraction of using a BR compliance issue to attract attention
this issue, but honestly, that shouldn't be necessary.  The BRs don't really
adequately
address the risks of the OCSPSigning EKU, and there's certainly lots of room for
improvement there.  I think, especially in the short term, it is more important
focus on how to mitigate the security risks and remove the inappropriate EKU
from
the affected ICAs.  We can fix the BRs later.

It's also important to note that, much like SHA-1, this issue doesn't respect
the
normal assumptions about certificate hierarchies.  Non-TLS ICAs can have a
significant
impact on their TLS-enabled siblings.  This means that CA review needs to extend
beyond the certificates that would traditionally be in scope for the BRs.

I would also caution CAs to carefully analyze the implications before blindly
adding the
pkix-ocsp-nocheck extension to their ICAs.  That might fix the compliance issue,
but in the grand scheme of things probably makes the problem worse, as ICAs
have fairly long lifetimes, and doing so effectively makes the inadvertent
delegated
responder certificate unrevokable.  So while the compliance problems might be
fixed, it makes resolving the security issues much more challenging.

-Tim