Thanks for raising this issue Ryan, I'm trying to update
http://revocationcheck.com/ to cover this issue.

From my understanding:

The OCSPnocheck extension is only required for a delegated OCSP responder
certificate as it can't provide answers for itself.
For a CA certificate in (CA signed responses) the OCSPnocheck extension
MUST NOT be present as it's not authorized to create a status for itself.

A CA certificate MUST NOT include the OCSPsigning EKU, even when
using CA signed responses.
When using CA signed responses the EKU digitalSignature MUST be set.
Delegated OCSP signing certificates MUST only have the OCSPsigning EKU set
(Microsoft A12)
Delegated OCSP signing certificates MUST be issued directly by the CA that
is identified in the request as the issuer of the EE certificate (RFC6960
4.2.2.2)

But as Pedro also mentioned, the EKU extension in intermediate certificates
acts as a constraint on the permitted EKU OIDs in end-entity certificates,
which means you won't be able to use delegated OCSP signing certificates
with strict EKU validation on the path? While not every client might have
strict validation on this, it would be really confusing if it's required
for one EKU and forbidden for the other.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:19, Pedro Fuentes via dev-security-policy <

Regards,

Paul van Brouwershaven

http://linkedin.com/in/pvanbrouwershaven
http://facebook.com/p.vanbrouwershaven