On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Paul van Brouwershaven <
p...@vanbrouwershaven.com> wrote:

> That's not correct, and is similar to the mistake I originally/previously
>> made, and was thankfully corrected on, which also highlighted the
>> security-relevant nature of it. I encourage you to give another pass at
>> Robin's excellent write-up, at
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/XQd3rNF4yOo/bXYjt1mZAwAJ
>>

> Thanks, it's an interesting thread, but as shown above, Windows does
> validate the EKU chain, but doesn't look to validate it for delegated OCSP
> signing certificates?

The problem is providing the EKU as you're doing, which forces chain
validation of the EKU, as opposed to validating the OCSP response, which
does not.

A more appropriate test is to install the test root R as a locally trusted
CA, issue an intermediate I (without the EKU/only id-kp-serverAuth), issue
an OCSP responder O (with the EKU), and issue a leaf cert L. You can then
validate the OCSP response from the responder cert (that is, an OCSP
response signed by the chain O-I-R) for the certificate L-I-R.