El jueves, 2 de julio de 2020, 9:23:19 (UTC+2), Paul van Brouwershaven
escribió:
> But as Pedro also mentioned, the EKU extension in intermediate certificates
> acts as a constraint on the permitted EKU OIDs in end-entity certificates,
> which means you won't be able to use delegated OCSP signing certificates
> with strict EKU validation on the path? While not every client might have
> strict validation on this, it would be really confusing if it's required
> for one EKU and forbidden for the other.

If we look at the BR, it says:
"[^**]: Generally Extended Key Usage will only appear within end entity
certificates (as highlighted in RFC 5280 (4.2.1.12)), however, Subordinate CAs
MAY include the extension to further protect relying parties until the use of
the extension is consistent between Application Software Suppliers whose
software is used by a substantial portion of Relying Parties worldwide."

Therefore, in my humble opinion it's fully logical to understand this
requirement "as it's written", which is to restrict the CA and protect relying
parties... In other words, the BR is clearly saying that the meaning of the EKU
in SubCAs MUST be understood as a constraint and NOT to express the EKU of the
certificate itself. The same applies to other EKUs, for example the meaning of
serverAuth EKU is EVIDENTLY associated to a constraint, and no one understands
that the CA certificate can be used to protect a web server, as in that case
the rest of the certificate profile should be also consistent with the
requirements of the leaf TLS certs... I think it's not logical to consider in
the BR the implications of setting some EKU and not the others.

I would consider this as two derived issues that need to be considered
separately and appropriately:

#1. There's an evident "gap" in the BR in section 7.1.2.2-g that is creating a
potential inconsistency with the RFC, and also creates incompatibilities with
certain software solutions.

#2. This inconsistency could provoke in certain conditions a security risk, and
in particular this applies in case of externally-operated subCAs. This security
risk must analysed and mitigated by, maybe, revoking these SubCAs.

But I would say that just considering this as a unique problem that needs a
unique solution is not appropriate.

Best,
Pedro