From: Eric Mill <e...@konklone.com>
Sent: Sonntag, 5. Juli 2020 00:55
To: Buschart, Rufus (SOP IT IN COR) <rufus.busch...@siemens.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-policy
<mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>; r...@sleevi.com;
mark.arno...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: SECURITY RELEVANT FOR CAs: The curious case of the Dangerous
Delegated Responder Cert

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:15 PM Buschart, Rufus via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>>
 wrote:
...especially since many of those millions of certificates are not even TLS
certificates and their consumers never expected the hard revocation deadlines
of the BRGs to be of any relevance for them. And therefore they didn't design
their infrastructure to be able to do an automated mass-certificate exchange.

This is a clear, straightforward statement of perhaps the single biggest core
issue that limits the agility and security of the Web PKI: certificate
customers (particularly large enterprises) don't seem to actually expect they
may have to revoke many certificates on short notice, despite it being
extremely realistic that they may need to do so. We're many years into the Web
PKI now, and there have been multiple mass-revocation events along the way. At
some point, these expectations have to change and result in redesigns that
match them.

[>] Maybe I wasn’t able to bring over my message: those 700 k certificates that
are hurting us most, have never been “WebPKI” certificates. They are from
technically constrained issuing CAs that are limited to S/MIME and client
authentication. We are just ‘collateral damage’ from a compliance point of view
(of course not in a security pov). In the upcoming BRGs for S/MIME I hope that
the potential technical differences between TLS certificates (nearly all stored
as P12 files in on-line server) and S/MIME certificates (many of them stored
off-line on smart-cards or other tokens) will be reflected also in the
revocation requirements. For WebPKI (aka TLS) certificates, we are getting
better based on the lessons learned of the last mass exchanges.

It's extremely convenient and cost-effective for organizations to rely on the
WebPKI for non-public-web needs, and given that the WebPKI is still
(relatively) more agile than a lot of private PKIs, there will likely continue
to be security advantages for organizations that do so. But if the security and
agility needs of the WebPKI don't align with an organization's needs, using an
alternate PKI is a reasonable solution that reduces friction on both sides of
the equation.

[>] But we are talking in S/MIME also about “public needs”: It’s about the
interchange of signed and encrypted emails between different entities that
don’t share a private PKI.

--
Eric Mill
617-314-0966 |

@konklone<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fkonklone&data=02%7C01%7Crufus.buschart%40siemens.com%7Cf2f26fa2fbe34263c93808d8206d650e%7C38ae3bcd95794fd4addab42e1495d55a%7C1%7C1%7C637295001505543267&sdata=7MwPiz4jDprx9fNj8gcwq6W59s6VcZ46yotvY4dsqTs%3D&reserved=0>

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens<http://www.twitter.com/siemens>
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife<https://siemens.com/ingenuityforlife>
[cid:image001.gif@01D6526A.82B24320]
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Klaus Helmrich, Cedrik Neike, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered
offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin
Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322