Hi Gervase,

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Alternatively, we could start again with a new UI indicator, this one
> actually backed by an objective standard and a minimum level of
> vetting. Which is the idea behind EV.

May I suggest an idea / proposal for a real improvement for the UI in
conjunction with SSL certification, which perhaps will help the casual
user best:

It is very common in the CA industry to mark digital certificates in
some form in order to differentiate between various verification
procedures.  This is usually done by adding some text to the O or OU
field in the subject line of a certificate. CA's do the marking
voluntarily, because of the lack of a different display mode in
software, except the binary padlock.

At the low end we have "Domain Validated" certificates and at the high
end will be the proposed EV certificates. Both of them have a place in
the SSL landscape, specially if used for the correct purposes. But there
is also a range in between, which seems to be thrown together with the
lower end. My suggestion would be to define a standard for marking, such
as the OID for policies, which would allow the CA to mark certificates
accordingly. Guidelines for correct marking could be defined (EV is
being defined already by the proposed standard).

1.) White address / tool bar and padlock ON for Domain / Email validated
only (Class 1).
2.) Yellow address / tool bar and padlock ON for Identity / Business
validated (Class 2 & 3).
3.) Green address / tool bar and padlock ON for EV certificates (Class 4).
4.) Self signed, temporarily accepted  or unknown issuer even a
different color??

Of course there are certain problems with this, such as adherence by the
CA's to correct marking. Obviously EV certificates must be treated
differently (authorized list etc), but there might be ideas and
solutions to this issue. The user however will gain the most, since he
can understand in an easier way, what type of certificate the site uses.
Casual users sometimes don't know how to look at a SSL secured web site
or its certification details, but with an easy color scheme (and some
explanation by hovering over the padlock) could give a good indication.
Issuing CA's will have it easier to mark their different certificate
levels and most likely support it. Other browser vendors might follow as
well. It could be worth the effort which needs to be put into this
proposal...

A second proposal would be, to display the most important certificate
details (subject line and issuer) by hovering over the pad lock (in the
address bar and status bar). This would display the user with most
information without being technically skilled to double click on the
padlock -> Select Security Tab -> Click View -> etc, etc. As mentioned
already, text within the subject line, such as O and OU would be
displayed and show the various, sometimes important details.

--
Regards

Signer:      Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Phone:       +1.213.341.0390