Gervase Markham wrote:
> Absolutely - and quite right too. The vetting procedures which apply
> to this middle ground are secret and proprietary, and have never been
> audited.
Well, I'm not sure if this a correct statement. Obviously CA policies
and practices are no secrets and published in most cases. Most
procedures are defined and disclosed publicly the same way the EV draft
is now on show. The relevant CA's were also audited in that respect.
>> 1.) White address / tool bar and padlock ON for Domain / Email validated
>> only (Class 1).
>> 2.) Yellow address / tool bar and padlock ON for Identity / Business
>> validated (Class 2 & 3).
>> 3.) Green address / tool bar and padlock ON for EV certificates
>> (Class 4).
>
> What benefit is there to users of having a more complex system such as
> this? EV _is_ Identity/Business validated.
Personally I think the proposed EV /UI changes solve only part of the
problem. This is the high end of digital certification and I assume also
an expensive one. The majority of businesses will most likely refrain
from EV certification for various reasons. This doesn't mean, that
properly and reasonable verified entities and the associated
certificates are on the same level as for example "domain validated".

If a user must make a decision, if to trust a certain web site operator,
it will help him, if he can easily get an indication about what type of
verification the entity has undergone. And since a change of the
behavior of the UI is discussed right now, I think, we might go one step
further and produce something better. I agree, that this requires an
additional effort, but so did the Anti-pishing tool and many other
things currently featured...our proposal isn't such a huge investment
really (my assumption). At last, I highly suggest to introduce a more
extensive mouse-over popup than "Authenticated by...".

--
Regards

Signer:      Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Phone:       +1.213.341.0390