Duane wrote:
Gervase Markham wrote:

fraudster needs to spend a disproportionate amount of time, money and
effort faking, spoofing or subverting all of the different data sources
used - such that they won't bother.

No, you hope they won't do it, but given enough incentive to move away
from non-https sites, and domain validated sites, there is enough people
caught by these scams to more then make it worth their while.

Let's say that the EV guidelines required the person purchasing the certificate to travel, at their own expense, to a facility in downtown Boise, Idaho. There, they would be photographed (naked) from front and back, fingerprinted, DNA-sampled and have their passport number taken. All this information would then be made public as part of the certificate.

If that were the case, I suggest that no fraudster would ever attempt to get an EV certificate. However, we probably wouldn't sell all that many of them either.

Hence, we have to try and find a sweet spot where the amount of validation required is do-able for a sensible price, and is not too inconvenient for a genuine applicant, and yet is disproportionately hard to spoof for a fraudster. Things like site visits are particularly hard to spoof, and yet easy for a genuine company to submit to.

You are asserting, without proof, that no such sweet spot exists. I am suggesting that the current EV guidelines are round about the right place. I invite your comments as to why that might not be the case. You might, for example, postulate a scenario where a fraudster could fake out all of the required steps for a cost of, say, under $20,000, without revealing very much information about himself. If you can do that, we would certainly look at the loopholes you've found and try to close them by strengthening the checks.

You also indicated law enforcement agencies would hunt down and capture
these perpetrators, which is another false assumption as most of the
world has bigger problems then catching people stealing money from
westerners.

Possibly so; but no system can make it safe to do business with a website in a country which does not prosecute criminals. The only solution is not to do business with sites based in that country. Hence the country indicator.

Gerv