On 4/15/09 1:32 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Why does the CSP technology get to advertise and version itself in this
> way when no other technology the browser supports does? If we allow CSP
> to send version information in every HTTP request, what other
> technologies are going to want it? "I support <video>". "I support
> HTML5". Etc. I think the slippery slope argument has validity here.

The support of <video> or HTML5 by a client does not have the same
security implications as the support of CSP.  If a client does not
support <video> and a site serves it to them, there is no risk to the
client, which can passively ignore the <video> content.  If a client
does not support CSP and a site serves them untrusted content, there is
a higher XSS risk to that client than to one which does support CSP.

> Why not start versioning when we reach version 2 (i.e. there are two
> versions to distinguish), if that ever happens?

Another benefit of the version string that we've discussed is the
ability for a client to signal that CSP is disabled presently (by
removing the string).  In those cases, a site may want to restrict which
content is served to that client.

-Brandon