On 2/6/2010 8:08 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 2/6/2010 7:04 AM, Eddy Nigg wrote:
>> Isn't it about time that extensions and applications get signed with
>> verified code signing certificates? Adblock Plus is doing for a while
>> now I think, perhaps other should too?
>>
>> Because this isn't really comforting:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/05/malicious_firefox_extensions/
>>

> Do you know a source of free "verified code signing certificates"?  Most
> add-ons are freeware developed by individuals who do it as a hobby.
> Requiring code-signing subscriber certificates would add a cost that few
> could afford.
>
> For those who are concerned, I suggest that they only install add-ons
> from <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/>, which is a Mozilla
> Corporation site secured with a Verisign-signed site certificate.
> Add-ons there go through some degree of review before being available to
> the public; before such reviews are concluded, add-ons require a user to
> logon to his or her own account and receive a warning that the review is
> still underway.

Oh!  I just read the cited Web page.  However, the malicious add-ons
were what I described as "before such reviews are concluded".  Stick
with those add-ons from <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/> that
can be obtained without logging-on.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997