I don't think it would have made a tremendous difference here. One of them was likely infected accidentally (only one version of the addon contained malware and the developer is actively communicating with us). Code signing doesn't prevent malicious code from being inserted into an addon. Yes, it makes it much harder for hobbyist developers to create addons but doesn't stop the bad guys from getting their hands on *some* code signing cert, either by stealing one or via a shell company in some foreign country.

The real problem IMHO is that we allow unreviewed addons to be downloaded directly from AMO. As a secondary issue we also need more & better AV scanning, but that only gets you so far in the grand scheme of things.
  Lucas.