On Feb 6, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Eddy Nigg wrote:

On 02/06/2010 08:30 PM, Lucas Adamski:
I don't think it would have made a tremendous difference here. One of them was likely infected accidentally (only one version of the addon contained malware and the developer is actively communicating with us).

In this case perhaps - in another case you perhaps will stay with the damage and never hear from the "developer".

The point is even a well legitimate intentioned developer with a code signing cert could ship malware by accident.

Code signing doesn't prevent malicious code from being inserted into an addon. Yes, it makes it much harder for hobbyist developers to create addons but doesn't stop the bad guys from getting their hands on *some* code signing cert, either by stealing one or via a shell company in some foreign country.

Errr...I hope not, otherwise what's the point of code signing certificates anyway.

Its not hard for bad guys to get *a* code signing certificate. In a previous life I encountered malicious ActiveX controls that were signed with a valid chained cert. Never figured out if the cert was stolen or if the org was intentionally distributing malware. But that didn't really matter. Code signing is useful when the user is trying to authenticate that the code they have in hand was issued by a specific organization that they trust. If you aren't trying to make a trust decision based upon the publisher then code signing buys you very little. What it does create is a huge burden on developers that requires them in many countries to be incorporated or at least have a business license, and provide a stack of paper documents to that effect. So the bad guys can always steal a cert or buy one via a shell company in Russia, while many of the good guys can't buy one at all.
  Lucas.

The real problem IMHO is that we allow unreviewed addons to be downloaded directly from AMO.

Yes, but is it feasible to review every add-on? Maybe it's not such a burden - and what about modifications of existing add-ons? Are they reviewed too?

It is a big burden, I wouldn't try to sugar coat it. However code signing doesn't relieve that burden in any way IMHO, they solve orthogonal problems.

--
Regards

Signer:  Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
XMPP:    start...@startcom.org