On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Gordon Brander <gbran...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It's funny: I have come to the opposite conclusion for the same reason.
>>
>> The Good: getting 60fps interactions and animations in web apps using a
>> proven approach (UI and interaction thread).
>> The Ideal: also automatically serializing those apps for offline use.
>

> I agree with this.
>
> Also, there is a way to get "save for later viewing" to work with complex
> apps: serialize all the application state --- DOM, CSS, JS heap, workers,
> etc --- and revive it later, possibly in a jail that blocks it from
> accessing the network when revived, but possibly not.

I think this would fall over more often than not.

Most developers will not write their code to be resilient in the face
of being suspended for extended periods of time. Upon reopening they
would likely display error dialogs, or updated version of whatever was
saved.

In fact, I would argue that it's directly harmful to keep even some of
the app logic working. It could cause things like overwriting server
state with whatever state was serialized into the saved copy.

The usecase here isn't to magically make apps available offline.
That's unlikely to ever work well enough that it's worth doing without
author cooperation. The use case here is the ability to save some
*information* for later access.

If I'm about to leave house to visit a friend, i'm interested in
saving the directions for getting to that friend. I'm less interested
in having an updated facebook feed with me.

/ Jonas