On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan
<rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Gavin Sharp <ga...@gavinsharp.com>
>> wrote:
>> > What does it mean to "save your <complex web app> for later viewing"?
>>
>> In gmail it would mean saving the set of emails that you are currently
>> looking at.
>>
>> For facebook it would mean the news-feed content that's currently on
>> the screen, or the event invitation details that you are currently
>> looking at.
>>
>> That's what we would get if we serialized the current DOM+CSS+images
>> to disk without any additional smarts. And all of these seem useful
>> for users.
>

> If we serialize the current DOM + CSS + images and remove the scripts, we
> will present something to the user which is little more than a screenshot.
> Users will immediately try to interact with it and discover that's broken.
> That's a bad experience.
>
> To present these in a non-broken way we must run page scripts. We should not
> try to restrict the functionality of Web APIs for the sake of avoiding this.

I think this is letting perfect get in the way of good.

It's going to take many years before a majority of the websites that a
given user uses to have made themselves "offlineable". I think waiting
for that long is going to add a lot of risk to the web's chance of
surviving the switch to mobile.

/ Jonas