On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> I think this would fall over more often than not.
>>
>> Most developers will not write their code to be resilient in the face
>> of being suspended for extended periods of time. Upon reopening they
>> would likely display error dialogs, or updated version of whatever was
>> saved.
>>
>> In fact, I would argue that it's directly harmful to keep even some of
>> the app logic working. It could cause things like overwriting server
>> state with whatever state was serialized into the saved copy.
>
> You missed the part about the jail.

Sure, the jail would prevent server overwrites.

But there's still problems like code behaving strange due to being
suspended so long, for example by removing content from the screen
that is "out of date".

Additionally the jail is more likely to cause error dialogs to appear
due to failed network requests.

I would also argue that keeping a lot of the page "working" by running
scripts, is going to be even more confusing when that page is then
unable to actually save anything due to the jail. Rather than nuking
all the scripts and ensuring that the only thing the user can do is
scroll around on the page.

/ Jonas