A couple thoughts from the perspective of a web app dev who has struggled with
this problem:

I get excited when I hear a proven solution with well-understood scope like
“animations and user interactions on the same thread”. I get nervous about
ambitious and unknown solutions (async DOM). The web needs a pragmatic fix for
animation and interaction and it needs it yesterday.