Ian G wrote:
Michael Ströder wrote:
Ian G wrote:
Michael Ströder wrote:

Anders, that's not the real problem with S/MIME or PGP. Encrypting/signing is simply not a business requirement.
=> Encrypting/signing must be made a business requirement in contracts. That's the whole point. And there's no technical solution for it.

That's as close to a perfect dilemma as I've come across!

Yupp.

It's not a business requirement, so we must make it a business
requirement ... What then creates the upstream requirement?  If it
doesn't come from business, where does it come from?

You have to teach people to make these requirements part of the company's security policy which in turn has to be made integral part of business contracts with external partners.

You can't put something in a company's security policy unless it is a business requirement first.

Reality is much more complex. Sometimes requirements are in a security policy but not in business contracts. And sometimes the management asks for e-mail encryption but does not enforce the use of an existing e-mail encryption infrastructure afterwards.

Or sometimes the technical infrastructure turns out to be pretty buggy and everybody avoids using it. Fortunately these interop problems are almost solved today.

(Unless we endorse the absolutist view of security, in which, we have to fix security holes because we know how to ... rather than whether they cost money for the business. But that's a firing offense ;)

Well, it's all about risks and how people weigh them. Some security people know a little more about some risks and technical counter measures and try to propose them. But it's hard to reach everybody in the business especially in big companies. And it's hard to convince people to spend time/budget to mitigate the risks.

Ciao, Michael.