Ian G wrote:
Michael Ströder wrote:

Anders, that's not the real problem with S/MIME or PGP. Encrypting/signing is simply not a business requirement.
=> Encrypting/signing must be made a business requirement in contracts. That's the whole point. And there's no technical solution for it.

That's as close to a perfect dilemma as I've come across!

Yupp.

It's not a business requirement, so we must make it a business
requirement ... What then creates the upstream requirement?  If it
doesn't come from business, where does it come from?

You have to teach people to make these requirements part of the company's security policy which in turn has to be made integral part of business contracts with external partners.

Technicians cannot solve this by inventing yet another technology.

But it seems that some security people are very busy with PKI bashing and convincing others that a new technology will solve all the non-technical problems. That will obviously fail miserably.

Ciao, Michael.