On 5/23/2012 8:20 AM, Fabrice Desre wrote:
On 05/23/2012 05:17 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
On 22/05/12 16:42, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
Why? I think I disagree with this decision. What is different between
listing an app on a store and linking to a website? Unless you have to
pay for the app, they are fundamentally the same action. Presumably
google search can be used for apps, no?

Also, what is to stop a particular implementation from simply ignoring
install_allowed_from for free apps?

Nothing, like for many other things you trust your UA. And yes, an
add-on can also override the behavior if you want so.

Bad web crawlers also ignore robots.txt. Hopefully most users are on a "good" UA.

I'll draw one last analogy - we don't host add-ons on AMO without the authors permission, even though we may really want to :)

Cheers,
-Anant