Hello -
  People can certainly created rogue UAs that can bypass much more than
"installs_allowed_from".  But I don't think manufacturers are likely to do this
as they know it would seriously impact the ecosystem of
stores/developers/devices as it would be a disincentive for developers to
develop for the platform.  Device manufacturers can make it difficult for folks
to install rogue UAs by requiring signed code before installing/running new UAs
(as some Android devices do).  This isn't to say it can't/won't happen.  B2G is
effectively a rogue UA on Android, but I don't think it is likely to be done as
part of an manufacturer distribution.
  As mentioned previously, if an author wants, they can allow for distribution
from any place using the "*".  but it is ultimately up to the app developer to
make that choice.
-Jim Straus